2011-12 FIRST LEGO League Challenge: Food Factor
Can FIRST® LEGO® League Teams improve our quality of food by finding ways to prevent food contamination? Through the Food Factor™ Challenge, 9-to-14 year-olds will explore the topic of food safety and examine the possible points of contamination our food encounters – from exposure to insects and creatures, to unsterile processing and transportation, to unsanitary preparation and storage – then find ways to prevent or combat these contaminates.
All Maryland FLL teams are invited to compete in one of our Qualifier Events held throughout the state in December and January. Top teams at each Qualifier will advance to the Maryland State FLL Championship. Details of Qualifier Event locations, dates, rules and final deadlines are typically posted by October.
|FLL Team Registration with FIRST||opens in May|
|Unveiling this year's Challenge||September 2|
|Team Registrations Close||
end of September
|Maryland FLL Qualifier Event Registration||October
|Maryland FLL Qualifier Events||December - January|
|Maryland FLL State Championship||late-January or February|
|FIRST World Championships, St. Louis||April 26-28, 2012|
Registering for Maryland FLL Events
Registration for Maryland tournaments begins in October, 2011. The cost will be $65/team.
Due to the large number of registrations this year, the following rules will be enforced:
- You must register for a Qualifier no later than November 4, 2011.
- Qualifier assignments will be posted shortly thereafter.
- You will be able to pay by credit card on the Registration site or by check payable to "The University of Maryland Foundation". Once you register, you can send your check to: UMBC, Mechanical Engineering Department E210, Attn: Karen Roulette, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. Please write your team number in the memo field like this "FLL Team #".
- The Committee requests that teams sign up for Maryland FLL Qualifiers ONLY if they will be able to participate in all 4 judging areas. Teams who attend a Qualifier but do not participate in all 4 judging areas will not be considered for awards.
- All teams must have an official Team number, provided when registering with the FIRST Lego League.
- You must register each of your teams separately.
- Remember that no more than 10 students can participate, per team, in the competition.
- If your team proceeds to the Maryland FLL Championship, an abstract of your team's project will be requested. This Abstract should be no longer than 250 words and should summarize the team research.
Typical Maryland FLL Championship Schedule
|7:00am-8:00am||Registration for FLL and Jr.FLL|
Judging/Practice Rounds For FLL
|12:00pm-1:00pm||Opening Ceremony for FLL
Closing Ceremony for Jr.FLL
|1:15pm-4:00pm||Robot Match Rounds|
|4:30pm||Closing Ceremony for FLL|
**Judging is closed to the public, but all match rounds are open.**
NOTE: This schedule is subject to change.